Sunday, January 17, 2016

Adventures of a Bibliophile: Remembering Alan Rickman (1946-2016)


Another great one has left us. It saddens me to think that we are going to start 2016 without this one great talent. I know that he has played so many iconic roles over the years, I even saw him in Love, Actually but for me he will always be the perfect Severus Snape.


Like most passionate readers, I have this love-hate relationship for books turning into movies. I saw a picture once depicting an iceberg as a movie in which the totality of the book lies under it. As I grew older, I understood that there are times in which the movie has to be under a 2 hour mark so I gradually accepted the fact that books turned movies are like that. I had no expectations whenever I would watch a book-turned-movie but I can't help but really vent out my frustrations sometimes.

True blooded Slytherin wizard

I first became a Potterhead since my 1st year days (around year 2000). In the Philippines, the book wasn't on sale yet so I first read the book courtesy of my classmate (her older sister always gives her the books fresh from the US) and I was definitely hooked. Ever since, I was drawn into the Slytherin House. When the first movie was shown in 2001, I was so excited seeing the book come to life. Sure there were so many disappointments here and there but what stood out the most for me is Alan Rickman's portrayal of Severus Snape. Among all the characters in that movie, his Severus Snape is EXACTLY HOW I ENVISIONED IT. And I couldn't express that enough.


This particular Severus Snape line during the first movie almost made me do a classic standing ovation. From there I knew, I had my genuine Professor Snape.


He even did the Lily scene on point. He was the best and I could never imagine another Severus Snape.

Always.

Alan Rickman's final thoughts after closing the curtain on Severus Snape

His portrayal of the Severus Snape's character has touched so many Potterhead's hearts and giving bookworms alike the hope that there would be more actors out there who would give justice to a well beloved book character.

Excuse me while I drown into a puddle of tears knowing of his passing. He will always be remembered as Professor Severus Snape, Slytherin head, Potions Professor, Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor and Hogwarts headmaster. He may not be able to reach the age of 80 like in his interview, but he will still be remembered forever by Potterheads and fans alike.

This is for the 16 and counting wonderful years as a Potterhead. Wands raised for Alan Rickman. Thank you.

"Death is but the next great adventure" - Albus Dumbledore

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...