Monday, June 9, 2014

From the Shelf: The Fault In Our Stars

Title: The Fault in Our Stars
Author: John Green
Genre: Young Adult, Romance
Type of book: E-book
Date read: June 8, 2014

Summary (cr: goodreads) 
Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.
My Review: (also in goodreads)


Reading this before eventually watching the movie is a must for me. I know I'm late but as the saying goes: better late than never. And because I always make it  point to read the book before watching the movie, I've experienced a million heartbreaks because of this. This novel is based on a true to life cancer warrior who finally succumb to it and I think this is the author's tribute. I loved how the characters : Hazel and Gus were witty and talked like chronic geeks. Its like an escape from an inevitable reality. Eventually of course they fell in love, realize that their hero of an author wasn't inspiring at all and later someone dies. Though it was weird because I exepected another person to die..what a twist. This had the taste of reality and makes one appreciate and treasure everyday and the simple things. It didn't reduce me into a puddle of tears just like everyone expected. There were some parts I got teary-eyed to  especially the part where you feel the parents' struggle to save their child because that's what they do, protect and love their child unconditionally. I can't help but compare it to what Jojo Moyes' wrote in 'Me Before You' (which pushed me into a short depression but that's another story) Overall it was witty, not mushy but realistic.

"The Fault In Our Stars" gets (4/5)

Till the next read...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...