Thursday, January 10, 2013

From the shelf: The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight

Title: The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight
Author: Jennifer E. Smith
Genre: Young Adult, Romance, Life, Chick-Lit
Date read: January 08, 2013
Dawn Rates:  (4/5)

Summary (cr: goodreads)

Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?

Today should be one of the worst days of seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan's life. Having missed her flight, she's stuck at JFK airport and late to her father's second wedding, which is taking place in London and involves a soon-to-be stepmother Hadley's never even met. Then she meets the perfect boy in the airport's cramped waiting area. His name is Oliver, he's British, and he's sitting in her row.

A long night on the plane passes in the blink of an eye, and Hadley and Oliver lose track of each other in the airport chaos upon arrival. Can fate intervene to bring them together once more?

Quirks of timing play out in this romantic and cinematic novel about family connections, second chances, and first loves. Set over a twenty-four-hour-period, Hadley and Oliver's story will make you believe that true love finds you when you're least expecting it. 
My Review: (also in goodreads)

At first I was debating whether to read or to ignore this book but the title left me curious. It looked like a case study for a major project. Hadley, the protagonist was dreading to travel to another part of the world just to attend her dad's wedding to a woman she never met. Naturally she would feel hesitation and anger towards someone who she thought broke her family apart. What made me interested at the story is the line of how 4 minutes can change one's life. At the airport she meets Oliver an interesting man which coincidentally has the same flight as her. The story comes in flashbacks of Hadley's happy past which coincides to what she was feeling at that moment. At the earlier parts of the book I was even predicting that Oliver is someone that is coincidentally a part of her dad's wedding but boy I was wrong. I thought that the story was that shallow but as I read further the story got deep. I even got misty eyed at some moments which shocked me especially the part where Hadley and her dad are confronting the elephants between them, suddenly there came my tears. A lot happened  during those twenty-four hours and it shook them for it was life-changing. For me, something as the littlest gesture that could change one's life is more important than something that is hidden and unsaid for years. I think this was one of the lessons being shown between Hadley's wedding in contrast to Oliver's issues (I won't spoil). Life's instances sometimes not only change one's perspective of it but the future altogether and that's why I truly believe that things happen for a reason not because of a mere coincidence.

Till the next read...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...