Tuesday, April 3, 2018

From the shelf: Fairest (The Lunar Chronicles #3.5)

Title: Fairest (The Lunar Chronicles #3.5)
Author: Marissa Meyer
Genre: YA, Sci-Fi, Dystopian
Date read: April 2, 2018
Dawn Rates:  (4/5)

Summary (cr: goodreads)


In this stunning bridge book between Cress and Winter in the bestselling Lunar Chronicles, Queen Levana’s story is finally told.


Mirror, mirror on the wall,

Who is the fairest of them all?



Fans of the Lunar Chronicles know Queen Levana as a ruler who uses her “glamour” to gain power. But long before she crossed paths with Cinder, Scarlet, and Cress, Levana lived a very different story – a story that has never been told . . . until now.

My Review: (also in goodreads)

Lookback:
Like I said in my last review, I have this feeling that Levana wasn't naturally a cold bitch. I honestly believe that every evil has its reason and surprise, surprise....I was right. Levana's story is somewhat a re-telling of a popular tale, the unknown life of the evil queen in the story Snow White. So should I suspect the next book's protagonist to be a re-telling of Snow White? That I would see. 

Maybe Lunar royalty have this natural evil ambition embedded in their heart. But for the most part I kind of sympathized with what Levana went through while her sister Channary was alive. It even justified my never-ending question through the series as to why Levana abhors Cinder....it justified her evil doings but it doesn't this gives her a free pass to manipulate anyone. She is an epitome of the unwanted sister or the spare tire which everyone ignores. She's the culmination of all the love she wished she had, the attention she never had, and a crown that would never be hers.

I almost sympathized with her.
Almost.

I would've rooted for her like the underdog she has become but it was so hard to. If Channary is the epitome of evil, she's the epitome of deceit and manipulation. She wants everything to be hers. Her insecurity drove her insane. Heck, she's insane. I know I should blame her sister for what happened to her, and she had the power to stop herself from being the one thing she hated the most...but she didn't. She did the worst thing anyone could do to another person: that is to manipulate free will. She even committed murder in pursuit of her ambitions.

I liked her....then I hated her.
....and I loved it.

Till the next read....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...