Sunday, November 25, 2012

From the shelf: Beautiful Darkness

Title: Beautiful Darkness
Author: Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl
Genre: YA, Paranormal, Romance, Witches
Date read: November 10-25, 2012
Dawn Rates:  (5/5)

Summary (cr: goodreads)

Ethan Wate used to think of Gatlin, the small Southern town he had always called home, as a place where nothing ever changed. Then he met mysterious newcomer Lena Duchannes, who revealed a secret world that had been hidden in plain sight all along. A Gatlin that harbored ancient secrets beneath its moss-covered oaks and cracked sidewalks. A Gatlin where a curse has marked Lena's family of powerful Supernaturals for generations. A Gatlin where impossible, magical, life-altering events happen.

Sometimes life-ending.

Together they can face anything Gatlin throws at them, but after suffering a tragic loss, Lena starts to pull away, keeping secrets that test their relationship. And now that Ethan's eyes have been opened to the darker side of Gatlin, there's no going back. Haunted by strange visions only he can see, Ethan is pulled deeper into his town's tangled history and finds himself caught up in the dangerous network of underground passageways endlessly crisscrossing the South, where nothing is as it seems.
My Review: (also in goodreads)

After Beautiful Creatures, the book starts where it left off: the funeral, a dark depressing event which brought Casters, Succubus and Incubus together. The title Beautiful Darkness was apt. There was a lot of darkness going on in this book and everytime I turn the page it just keeps on getting darker and darker. Lena seems to be battling something bigger than her that she pushes Ethan away. I really like Lena and I know she has issues and things to deal with but seriously, as I read more into the book I'm mentally shouting "Dump Lena!" to Ethan

There is something off with that Lucille Ball cat (which I finally know the reason later on). Olivia "Liv" Durand is a college intern at the library where Ethan has his summer job. Seems that she knows more than stacking books and quoting lines (as Link would say Marian Jr.) One of my favorite scenes is where Ethan, Link and Liv were hanging out at the fair but it all crashed when Lena wanted to talk to Ethan. And Ethan forgave her not staying angry for long. Seriously Ethan? Make her suffer a bit. Sheesh.

My favorite line (I feel for you Ethan): 
"It was one thing to be attacked by someone you hated, but this was something else. This was the kind of hurt that could only be inflicted by someone you loved, who you thought loved you. It was sort of like being stabbed from the inside out." - Ethan

So many secrets were revealed and so many unexpected  twists arose in this sequel and I think there were more to come in the next book. What I didn't like was Ethan and Link behaving like love struck idiots but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt since they live in a small town and their world hasn't expanded yet. Though them being in love has its pros and cons. Pro: lucky girl con: idiots. *Spoiler* someone comes back from the dead and someone becomes a supernatural.

Macon Ravenwood and Lila Ever's connection is the best thing that happened. 

I know that Ridley is dark but I can't but feel affectionate for her since she sacrificed a lot because of her sisterly love for Lena; whether she admits it or not. I love Link's "babe" and Ridley's "Don't call me babe" bickering.

Eighteen moons, eighteen spheres,
From the world beyond the years,
One unchosen, death or birth,
A broken day awaits the earth...

I love this sequel and I'm off to read Beautiful Chaos.
Till the next read...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...